(Rava or Sooji Upma)
Upma is a veteran & very delicious Indian breakfast dish. It is mostly prepared in the Southern Region of India.
The term UPMA is derived from the south Indian vocabulary like uppumavu, uppittu and uppindi.
Alongside being delicious, sooji upma is also a healthy dish. It is a good source of protein and fiber.
Upma recipe is among the easiest and quickest breakfast dishes that can be prepared within 10-15 minutes.
Upma is prepared with semolina, onion, ghee, fresh vegetables, and spices. It is necessary to roast sooji properly to get fluffy and nonsticky upma.
In my upma recipe, I have also added dals like moong and urad. It not only enhances the taste but also adds nutritious value to it.
Another ingredient making my recipe taste different is curd. Let’s learn how to make this delicious dish at your home with these easy step by step recipes.
Share Our Recipes:
- Sooji – ½ cup(125 ml)
- Water – 2 cup(480 ml)
- Ghee – 2 tablespoon (You can also use oil with same quantity instead of Ghee)
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Onion, chopped – 1 Piece (Optional)
- Black Pepper Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Green Chili, chopped – 1 teaspoon
- Carrot, chopped – 1 tablespoon
- Capsicum, chopped – 1 tablespoon
- Potato, chopped – 1 tablespoon
- Tomato, chopped – 1 tablespoon
- Roasted Peanut, coarsely crushed – 1 tablespoon
- Curry Leaves(Meetha Neem), chopped – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander Leaves, chopped – 1 tablespoon
- Moong Dal – 1 teaspoon
- Urad Dal – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds(Rai) – 1 teaspoon
- Curd – 1 tablespoon
How to make Sooji or Rava Upma
Dry Roast Sooji
- Dry roast sooji in a pan on low flame till it becomes golden.
- Keep stirring continuously till it changes color.
- Transfer this roasted sooji to another bowl set aside to cool.
- Take another pan and place it on gas. Pour ghee in it.
- When ghee becomes warm, pour rai, curry leaves, and moong and urad dal.
- After roasting, add potato, capsicum, onion, green chili, and carrot and fry till the potato gets a light golden color.
- Pour tomato, black pepper powder, red chili powder, and roasted peanuts. Cook till the tomato gets mushy.
- Pour roasted sooji in the above mixture and stir for one minute.
- After that, pour water in it and stir constantly to avoid lumps till the mixture becomes thick and consistent.
- Pour curd and mix it well and cook for 3-4 minutes. Switch off the flame.
- Spread 2 teaspoons ghee over upma and cover it for 5 minutes.
- Garnish the upma with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot delicious upma with tomato ketchup and coconut chutney.